As the temperature drops we all become concerned about our flock. We want them to be cozy and warm throughout winter. Many people turn to heat lamps to heat their chicken coops, but heat lamps can prove disastrous. Not only could you lose your coop, but also your house, pets, and belongings.
The following is a list of chicken coop fires caused by a heat lamp. This list is ONLY for 2017 posted news articles that specifically cite heat lamps in a coop as the cause. This does not include livestock barns or other structures, or coop fires without a listed cause.
With less than a month left in the year, PLEASE think twice before using a heat lamp in your chicken coop. The articles below are just a sampling of the many fires that happened. We all know that not every chicken coop fire is reported to the news, so there undoubtedly were many, many more fires than this. In several cases, the owners home was destroyed as well.
For tips on keeping your birds warm in a safe manner, please see this post. Share this with others!
Table of Contents
January 4, 2017- Fire destroys Victor chicken coop
“Firefighters believe a combination of heating lamps and a heating unit to keep water from freezing caused a chicken coop fire near Victor.”
January 6, 2017- Heat lamps cause chicken coop to catch fire
“Fire departments from Star and Eagle extinguished a fire inside a chicken coop in Star this morning.
Star’s fire chief says the blaze started when heat lamps used to keep the chickens warm, caught the straw on fire.”
January 9, 2017- Chicken coop fire preliminarily determined accidental
“The fire…caused an estimated $3,000 in structure loss and an estimated $200 in content loss, according to a news release from the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office. …The blaze was discovered by the occupants of a house on the property where the chicken coop is located. It was preliminarily determined to be accidental as a result of a heat lamp in the chicken coop falling, according to the release. The house sustained heat damages, though there are no known injuries as a result of the fire.”
January 9, 2017- Millerton fights fires in coop and chimney
“It was the second fire of the day for Millerton, which responded to a morning shed fire in town. Barnes said that fire may have started from a heat lamp in the shed which held chicken and dogs. Firefighters were able to save the shed, but the contents were severely damaged.”
January 11, 2017- No fowl play in chicken coop fire
“Collard said the chicken coop was heavily damaged as well as the vehicle. … The fire was possibly started by a heat lamp that was placed inside of the building for the animals .”
January 27, 2017- City-fied chicken coop catches fire with flames 4 feet from the house
“A large chicken coop in the back yard of a SW Volcano Avenue home not only destroyed an 8 x 16 foot coop, but sent flames dangerously close to the house. … Firefighters say the blaze was caused by a heat lamp placed too close to flammables.”
January 28, 2017- Fire burns SW Redmond chicken coop; home spared
“A southwest Redmond chicken coop went up in flames Friday afternoon, but firefighters kept it from reaching a house a few feet away, and no chickens perished in the fire, officials said…. The fire was believed to have been caused by a heat lamp placed too close to combustibles.”
January 30, 2017- House fire breaks out near Belgrade
“Hennequin’s official report says the fire was caused by a heat lamp in a chicken coop attached to the back of the home. It caused an approximate $100,000 worth of damage to the structure and its contents.”
March 13, 2017- Chicken Coop Destroyed in Weekend Fire in Rural Centralia
“The 8 by 18-foot building was destroyed and all the chickens inside were killed. The fire also spread to a 10 by 12 foot shed….A heat lamp is being looked at as the possible cause.”
March 17, 2017- Heat lamp for arriving chicks sparks barn fire in Boscawen
“A home for new chickens in a Boscawen barn was leveled by a fire Friday that most likely started with a heating lamp.”
April 28, 2017- Heat lamps possible cause of chicken coop fire
“Heat lamps are suspected to be a potential cause of a fire that torched a chicken coop and part of a pickup truck in the Little Valley area Thursday morning”
June 6, 2017- Chicken coop catches fire at home on North Foothills Highway west of Longmont
“Montez said the chicken coop was expected to be worked on Wednesday, and the fire was possibly caused by a heat lamp inside the coop.”
June 28, 2017- Young boy helps family members escape burning mobile home
“The brave action of a 6-year-old helped a rural Lyon County family escape its burning mobile home Wednesday afternoon.
A chicken coop — and later a mobile home located just north of the main property at 820 Road 290 — caught fire north of Americus Wednesday afternoon. An electrical heating fixture attached the chicken coop ignited, engulfing the chicken coop before spreading to the mobile home.
“They had a chicken coop hooked up to the outside,” said Americus Fire Chief Bill Harmon. “That’s where the origin was, was out there.””
September 21, 2017- Fire Destroys Rural Cowley County Chicken Coop Tuesday Evening
“ A heat lamp – used to warm some recently-hatched chicks – is thought to be the cause of the fire. The building is considered a total loss.”
October 3, 2017- About three dozen chicks perished in a fire Monday morning when a chicken coop started on fire
“The fire department reported the cause of the fire appeared to be from the chick heat lamps that were left on inside the coop. The estimated loss is $12,000 for the coop and $500 for the chicks.”
October 13, 2017- FRIDAY MORNING HOUSE FIRE CAUSES DAMAGE; NO INJURIES
“An early Friday morning fire in Scottsbluff causes several thousand dollars in damage- but fortunately no injuries to its two residents.
Fire Captain Dan Hubbs says the residents had built a make-shift chicken coop out of pallets on the side of the house, and had used an extension cord to power a heat lamp to keep the chickens warm.
The lamp overheated and caused the pallets to catch on fire, which then spread to the siding on the north side of the house and into the attic area.”
October 16, 2017- Heat lamp blamed for fire in Cheyenne
“A heat lamp in a make-shift chicken coop is being blamed for a fire in northeast Cheyenne this (Monday) morning. …”When engine 2-1 first arrived on scene they found a single-wide mobile home which was 75 percent involved in flames,” said Scottini. “A nearby abandoned camper, two older vehicles and a 20-foot enclosed box trailer were also involved.”…Scottini says the blaze caused an estimated $20,000 worth of damage.”
October 31, 2017- Chicken coop heat lamp possible cause of small house fire
“According to Kirk Webb, community risk manager for Timber Mesa, the source of the fire may have been a chicken coop and a heat lamp on the east side of the home and property.”
November 12, 2107- Fire kills chickens being raised by Ann Arbor school students
“A late-night fire Saturday, Nov. 11 killed several chickens being raised by students at A2 STEAM at Northside in Ann Arbor. … “The cause of the fire is still being investigated at this point, however, initial reports indicate that a heater placed into the coop to keep the chickens warm is the likely source,” the statement said.”
November 21, 2017- 25 chicks killed in early-morning chicken coop fire in Boulder County
“The fire is suspected to have started from a heating lamp used to warm the chicks.”
November 30, 2017- Heat lamp blamed for $200K damage in rural Kansas fire
“A State Fire Marshal has determined that a heat lamp in a chicken coop caused a fire that heavily damaged two homes in Gypsum Wednesday morning. … the home…lost several cars, a carport, appliances, five chickens, a rooster, a dog, and a shed. The interior and exterior of the back of the home also sustained heavy damage.
Listen To This Article