Hello and welcome to Heritage Acres, a 2 acre hobby farm run by Nicole, with help from her husband Patrick. Their small paradise in Pueblo West, Colorado is home to chickens, guinea fowl, quail, ducks, turkeys, pheasants, pigeons, bees and more. They also have a quaint peach orchard and a picturesque garden. Nicole and Patrick enjoy the hard work and satisfaction that comes from running their homestead. There is never a dull moment, but at the end of the day, it is always worth it.
Nicole enjoys working the farm and sharing her expertise – she runs the Blog full of useful farming tips. Here you will learn what has worked for us in the past, what hasn’t and which products have made life easier. Read Nicole’s latest post now!
Nicole is also the host of the Backyard Bounty podcast, which covers the many aspects of backyard and hobby gardening, as well as poultry, beekeeping, animal husbandry, sustainable/natural living, farm entrepreneurship, etc.. Listen to Backyard Bounty here.
Nicole is a Colorado native and an outdoor enthusiast. A retired firefighter/paramedic, Heritage Acres Market and her family are now her main focus. When not working the farm, she enjoys creating new content for the blog and recording new episodes of the Backyard Bounty podcast.
Nicole is also a certified Colorado Master Gardener, chicken enthusiast, and Master Beekeeper.
The Heritage Acres flock of chickens consists of a large variety of breeds, from Appenzeller Spitzhauben to Barnyard Mixes.
They also have Narragansett turkeys, red golden pheasants, Coturnix quail, german owl pigeons, and french guinea fowl.
Apiary and Bee Hives
Heritage Acres Bees
All of the bees at Heritage Acres are captured swarms. Most beekeepers purchase package bees that come from California. Heritage Acres believes that local feral bees are the ideal choice as they are better acclimated to our climate.
Principles and Practices
Heritage Acres Hives are maintained in a sustainable, bee focused manner. This means that they do not use synthetic chemicals to treat for disease, allow bees to draw comb in foundationless frames, never overharvest honey, and only feed if absolutely necessary. Because of these practices, Heritage Acres is proud to say that all of their hives are Certified Naturally Grown.
Map of Current Hive Locations
In addition to the blog, Heritage Acres Market offers a number of poultry and bee-related products via the Shop.
Heritage Acres Market is proud to be the only US distributor of the Columbus Aqua poultry watering nipple. These nipples are the ideal waterer for chickens, turkeys, quail, and most all other backyard poultry. Columbus Aqua poultry nipples are the original horizontal nipple and made in Europe, while all other side mount poultry nipples are made in China.
Please visit and consider supporting small businesses!
Heritage Acres Cares
At Heritage Acres, they truly care! It is their goal to make this world a better place and to give back to the community. Here is a showcase of some of the ways Heritage Acres has upheld this philosophy:
- November 2016– Donated 2 gift baskets to the Colorado Springs Christian Schools Buckles, Boots & BBQs fundraiser.
- February 2017– Donated 2 dozen hatching eggs to CSU-P student for their Ornithology project
- Spring 2017– Donated 2 dozen hatching eggs to a local preschool teacher for her classroom
- September 2017- Donated basket for fundraiser raffled at the Lebanon Valley Poultry Fanciers show
- Winter 2017– Adopt-A-Roadway in Pueblo West, on McCulloch between Coral and Nichols
- Winter 2017– Adopt-A-Highway, US Highway 50 mile marker 303-304
- January 2018– Donated composting worms to the Colorado Master Gardeners (Pueblo branch).
- January 2018– Donated gift basket to Swallows Charter Academy for their Prom Fundraiser.
- April 2018- Donated 4 dozen hatching eggs to Desert Sage Elementary School in Pueblo West. Also donated a gift basket for raffle to support victims of recent wildfires.
- Egg Incubator Rental is always free for local educators
We are currently developing a Scholarship as well as a donation fund. Check back for updates! Do you have any comments or suggestions on ways to give back? If so, please contact us!
Organizations and Professional Memberships
National Poultry Improvement Plan, Colorado Proud, Certified Naturally Grown, Animal Welfare Approved, Pueblo County Beekeepers Association, Colorado State Beekeepers Association, Guinea Fowl International
Heritage Acres Market LLC is Proud to Support
Let’s Be Social
Would you like to learn more about Heritage Acres Market? Please consider joining the newsletter for updates and discounts sent to your inbox. Want more? Check out Heritage Acres Market on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or YouTube!